Monday, January 04, 2010

Watch the clothes.



I'm sure most people would have watched Sherlock Holmes by now since its release about 2 weeks ago. Reviews were quite mixed from my friends. Some found the story deviating from its original plot whilst others welcomed the modern twist and breath of fresh air from director Guy Ritchie.

To be honest, I myself thought it was a decent movie. I found the setting and filmography captivating in the dreary grey London setting. Oh how I love gloomy weather. I liked how the movie unfolded and how it was presented with the frequent flashbacks when deducing a scenario. But more than that, I was extremely awed by the costumes.



I thought the costume designer did a splendid job in creating the clothes. They were absolutely stunning. Jackets, coats, fitting three-piece suits, high club collars, braces, scarves, neckties, hats, waistcoats. I was drowning in a sea of tweed, knits, herringbone and prince of wales checks. Well, drowning in a good way of course. These are the clothes, that I myself, and I'm sure many others too, would wear today.



- Gorgeous three-piece suit in tweed.



- This shot is serioualy making me toy with the idea of getting braces.



- I absolutely loved this sleek almost black jacket with the straps dangling down the middle as worn by Jude Law. It was my favourite piece in the movie and stood out even though it was only featured briefly in the dinner scene.


Frankly, I enjoyed the movie mostly because of the clothes and furnishings and settings. I liked how it was so rich and gritty at the same time. Good stuff there. I also found it interesting that the iconic deerstalker hat that is very much associated with Sherlock Holmes was somewhat non-present. Instead, it was swapped with fedoras and newsboy caps. As for the movie as a whole, as I said earlier, not mind-blowing but...decent.


Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont know much about 'details' like u mentioned but im sure a sucker for men all dressed up. i'd be eyeing the clothes on the females meself..saw a 'burlesque' one on McAdams when she was tying up Downey in the trailer xD

justin k said...

oh yeah, Rachel McAdams's clothes were pretty awesome too.