Most Chinese New Year celebrations would go something along the lines of ang paus, new clothes, happiness, feel-good times, gorging oneself with copious amounts of alcohol and great food and then post-CNY bitching about weight gain. But I don't feel like going over every single detail of my Chinese New Year celebration. Yes, there's the great food and ang paus (although steadily declining) and all the other things which make the new year such a cliche.
But I think as I get older, Chinese New Year is just not as fun any more. A recent conversation with Damien made me realize that I'm not the only one feeling bored during the festivities. Don't get me wrong, I love Chinese New Year, at least the concept and tradition of it. But when the day finally arrives, I find myself hating everything from the weather, the damn traffic, the hiked up prices of goods and the all-round chaotic atmosphere.
I think what I really like most about Chinese New Year ironically, is the time before Chinese New Year. That time when I start to get into the CNY mood, when I start to go shopping, when I start the preparations and cleaning and planning for the big day.
This is not a typical Chinese New Year post, and if you think I'm getting you down by being a little blase, please go on and surf over to a few other blogs which elaborate to you how great their celebrations were and how they all say "OMG, I'm going to gain weight from all the food!"
I hate to be a kill joy.
Stay tuned for better times.
2 comments:
once you don't get to celebrate CNY, you'll appreciate CNY a little bit more is what I say.
Last CNY was the best CNY I had in the longest time - just cuz we don't get to celebrate over here. I've held "semi"-open houses, and we had friends over to hang out and have fun, which is great and all, but it's not the same when your family is not around. And kuih kapek.... yummmm..... *drool*
I guess you're right, I haven't had the experience yet. And we missed you this CNY
Post a Comment