A year ago, I was just about to get started on that one month stint at a small architecture firm. In that one month I did blogged about having being taken to a site along Gurney Drive to take measurements of a run-down bungalow which is about to undergo a major renovation.
Half a year or more ago, that said renovation was bound for completion. Just late last year, a little place called Coffee Island opened its doors.
Yesterday, I got the opportunity to visit this seemingly of-the-moment hang out. Having heard my friends raving all over this place, I just had to go take a look myself.
Coffee Island (from what I've observed) is catering to the whole late teen/early twenty something college students to late twenties working group. Basically people who go there allegedly to have drinks, but are really there to 'see and be seen'. And I have nothing against that.
Coffee Island is obviously hitting all the right notes seeing that they are packed at night and even more so as the weekend approaches. They have the alfresco dining thing going on with a bar, pretty good ventilation and lighting throughout. Or you can opt for a seat inside where it is apparently air conditioned (I have yet to try that out for myself).
But aside from that, I think the food is just mediocre. They serve a variety of food no doubt; but personally, I'm not going to pay 7-8 ringgit for hawker food that I can get from better places at half the price. Other foods include the same old Western foods which to me is such a bore. I wish they had a better menu selection. And they should lower their prices (Although that's not going to happen)
And they seriously need to hire more or better staff. Staff with eyes I suggest. Waiters who are hopefully able to tend to your needs such as handing you a menu once you get seated instead of letting you dangle for about 15 minutes ignoring your hand gestures for them to come over. I think they just need a better serving system.
I would like to give them a second chance if not a third. I like the whole idea of it. Alfresco coffee place. Next to Gurney Drive. Soft music. Company of good friends. Oh and did I mention that the place is pretty clean?! (Their bathrooms are air conditioned) And they have Wifi! And it's quite near to where I stay!
Stay tuned for more.

10 comments:
If the bathrooms are air conditioned, are they vendilated? Will the smell of you shitting be trapped inside the bathroom? Hahaha! I'll check it out when I go back next time :)
they sell lotsa coffees?? try out affogato if they have! it's good! I'm not a coffee person but I like that one very much!
wtf, why sankochan in my computer?!! that was me!
i miss gurney drive. A LOT! :'(
JC: Haha, It's not that bad. I didn't have to hold my breath when using the urinals if that's what you mean.
Sanko & MZ (whom I assume are the same person): I don't think they have affogato there. That's more of an italian dessert-ish thing. Coffee with ice cream.
Sue: I missed it too when I was away...
that picture is nice ..
who took it ??
me ???
I don't know who took it. but it was freakin terrible!
the pic: u on drugs or the camera?
Neither...it was the cameraperson who was smoking up a joint.
I've been there...the food SUCKS bad time!! bt the area is just okay.... the place i sat at...bad lighthing.... the orientation is pretty much simple, walk in, seats on left and right... then the pond and the bar... hmmm....
Post a Comment