Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Damn, it's hot today!


One foot in front of the other, I paced. Swearing under my breath as I go. My pace quickens with each step forward. The damned sun above casting heat down on me. Stinging. Searing. Scorching my bare skin. The shade of a tree offered a temporary relief from the hot spell. But it passes all too soon.

Little kids scuffled along the pavement, heads lowered to avoid the rays. They headed in the opposite direction. The messenger bag on my shoulder briefly slips. But I caught it in time. I continue to lug the burden along. Inch by inch. Step by step.

The monolith looms ahead. Drawing closer. My feet left the pavement as I crossed a narrow lane. No one in sight. Just me and the still warm air. No wind. No breeze. Nothing. Only the sound of my shoes scraping against the asphalt.

Suddenly, the heat abated, the sunlight waned. I stopped and looked up. The shadow of the building is now upon me. The searing diminished. Leaving only a redness on my skin as a reminder of the scorching pain present just moments earlier. I started to pace again, but this time of a lesser speed, heading to the designated lecture room for my Building Materials class. For the rest of the day all I thought was 'Damn, it's hot today!'

9 comments:

alvin_t said...

u can just say it's HOT ...

Yong Ming said...

Creative... very creative...

Jhei said...

Bloody brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

yes..it's hot today. u felt it too.....

michiko said...

gosh, you're good!! yes, today is bloody hot!!

justin k said...

Yah...I know it's so hot. I wish it would be gloomy everyday...*thinks of London and Seattle*

justin k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sankochan said...

Ooo... your hot....

I would shower in really really cold water...

justin k said...

...swt