Friday, July 18, 2008

A New Cult

I am noticing a trend amongst my friends which has been surfacing lately. Friends of all sizes, tall, short, fat, skinny, are beginning to join a seemingly popular cult. One which not only empties your pockets but it also robs you of your time and saps your energy. The GYM.

I have approximately nine to ten friends who have willingly sacrificed their precious time, moolah and strength and in return, they attain physical fitness. Using the gym no doubt contributes to a healthier life as long as you routinely go there and utilize the equiptments appropriately. The most obvious objective for gym-goers, is to attain a fit bod by losing weight and building body mass. Who doesn't desire that? But it's not that simple. There are things that one must consider before enrolling into a fitness center.

Time is one of the factors which has to be considered. Do you have sufficient time to spare for gym? Being a student, it is often more difficult to set aside ample time for gym when assignments and tasks are consistently flooding your schedule. Other than that, you need time to study, run errands and have a social life. Although, some courses have a lighter workload and thus time does not pose as a problem.

The other issue is Money. I assume people who are already 'gym-ing' are less likely to consider money as an obstacle. But how much are you really willing to spend on a gym membership? But then again, the membership fee is not the only thing to think about. Parking fees, gas for your car and/or transportation to get to the gym must all be taken into account.

In my case, I believe I wouldn't be able to fully utilize the exercise center while being an architecture student. Assignments are already reeking hell in my daily schedule. Sometimes I don't even have time to sleep, let alone working out in the gym. In addition, I think that the fees are quite high...affordable, but still quite high. However, occasionally I do give some thought into being a member of the cult. Maybe i'll only join when i'm earning myself enough greens. What do you think?



Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

sankochan said...

DUDE!!! remember when I was 'gym-ing'
yea~~ That was cool~~ I miss that!!!
UGH!!!! Your making me miss tons of stuffs!!!

T_T

Your thin enough~~

I was fat~~ WAS!!

justin k said...

Yes I remember clearly. And yes you WERE fat...of course you are...