- Hedi Slimane
Hedi Slimane may be credited as the person who's faux-hawk hairstyle inspired David Beckham to adopt one which was then popularised. But it was his stint at Christian Dior which was one of the defining moments in his life which catapaulted him into fashion stardom with his very own 'Slimane Look'. He was the guy who rejuvenated Dior with the launch of Dior Homme. His intervention with Dior saw the birth of a more slimmed-down look. The fit of the clothes were of utmost importance. They were designed for the leaner, skinnier man.
I've been told time and again by family and most of my friends *points finger at everyone I know* that I am skinny. Legs are supposedly the hardest place to add mass. So owning a pale pair of peg-looking legs were not unusual. However, my pair of 'chicken legs' became a source of mild embarassment to me back in high school. Thus earlier in my life, I would usually cover up my hairy pair of chopsticks by wearing baggy jeans, khakis and loose cargo pants. I figured that they would give the illusion of bulkiness which I absolutely lack.
But then suddenly, something happened. Hedi Slimane was at the helm of Dior which gave way to the slimmer, leaner look I mentioned. People all around the world were embracing this sharp, fitted look with a punk edge. It was a phenomenon. Thinness suddenly became the 'in' thing. Even celebs dove into the look. Pete Dorethy's pair of toothpick-thin legs got him to shag supermodel Kate Moss. Jude Law suddenly sported skinny jeans. And punk rock bands such as Fall Out Boy were also very into the narrow look.
I may have shunned the anaeroxic look at first. Swearing off skinny jeans, and avoiding tight fitting clothes. But just about a year and a half ago, I decided to be bold and try to experiment. I bought my first-ever pair of skinny jeans and slapped them on. My friends said I looked just fine but some still criticized my lamp post-like figure. But the truth is, my wearing slim cut clothes had a deeper meaning than just fashion. On some level, I was acknowledging my skininess. Accepting what god has given me. I was finally embracing every bony crevice of my spindly legs. It felt liberating as I no longer had to camouflage them everytime I step out of the house. It was as though I was flaunting them now. I also begun to change my style and buy more fitted clothes which would do justice to my tiny figure.
Hedi Slimane left Dior a year ago. And as for now, the skinny phase is already blowing over. The bulky look is again taking over. But you know what, screw that. I'm not for one to follow fashions. I say wear what you look good in and be bold to experiment. If the slimmed-down look suits you, by all means go for it. If you're on the hefty side, steer clear of it.
Here's Hedi Slimane for Dior's Fall 2005 collection which has a rock inspired look. It still features what Slimane is famous for: drain-pipe trousers which hug the legs very much like skinny jeans. Personally, I like the first and third look the most.





Stay tuned for more.
2 comments:
Well, perceptions do change. And besides, if you notice, I said I buy FITTED clothing and not 'tight' ones. Fitted as in it's flattering to your body frame and hugs your figure perfectly without bursting at the seams. People who wear tight clothing are either rock stars, gay, body builders or people who just wann show off their ripped bods.
Post a Comment